Friday, February 6, 2009

one week

one week until i go! i can hardly even believe it's almost time. with the exception of packing, i am pretty much completely ready to go.

today i finally checked off the last few items on my shopping list (well, except electric converters, but that's tomorrow's project) and booked my hotel rooms in madagascar for the few nights in between projects. when i say "I booked my hotel rooms," i actually mean my wonderful, fluent-in-french friend kevin came over and booked them for me. i was very impressed and found myself wishing, once again, that i had taken a language other than latin. my one year of 7th grade french isn't really going to be taking me anywhere. (especially since i spent the entire class admiring the adorable norwegian foreign exchange student. turns out, by the way, that he's gay and has a boyfriend, as i learned when we recently became facebook friends. man, can i pick 'em.) hopefully by the time i come home i'll have picked up a little french, malagasy, and swahili! 

no news yet from the university of queensland or the university of adelaide. i'm really hoping i hear back from them before i leave, as the outcome of the next 3 years of my life depends on this decision. things are so hectic right now! not only am i trying to get ready for africa, but i'm also trying to figure out dorms and tuition and student visas and all of that fun stuff for australia. let the adventures begin.

so, i have my first prayer request for the trip. it turns out that us citizens are being advised not to travel to madagascar at this time, as there have recently been riots around the capitol. apparently, if the riots continue and escalate, the US embassy in madagascar may be closing. on march 31 i will be flying alone into the capitol at midnight and then have to make it to my hotel. i think that out of all aspects of my trip, this is the one short portion i am most concerned about.

i've been thinking a lot about what i want this trip to mean and what i would like to get out of it. i suppose i have a lot of goals i would like to accomplish, but i have learned over the past few years that plans (at least my plans) never really seem to work out. so instead, i'm surrendering this trip and myself to god to make of us what he wants. my heart is open, and i'm ready to take it all in-- the good, the bad, and everything in between. had you asked me a few years ago, i never would have thought this is the path my life would take. despite the setbacks and obstacles along the way, i am so blessed and ecstatic to embark on this journey of a lifetime.

ps-it is now 12:30 on saturday morning, so i suppose the title is no longer accurate :) LESS than one week!




we are crushed and created. we are melted and made. we are broken and built up in the very same way. what i thought i could handle, what i thought i could take, what i thought would destroy me leaves me stronger in its wake. and there are times that i've underestimated both the grief and goodness found in something new. when one thing dies, something else can be created. --caitlyn smith




No comments:

Post a Comment